Republicans are just one seat away from the 218 seats needed to win a majority in the House, according to CNN’s forecast.
With control of the House still hanging in the balance, Republicans voted Tuesday to nominate the California representative. Kevin McCarthy, House Minority Leader since 2019, serves as speaker. McCarthy won the secret ballot by a vote of 188 to 31, fending off a long-range challenge from the Arizona representative. Andy Biggs, former chairman of the conservative House Freedom Caucus.
Lord’s right place In inner races:
- House seats held by Republicans: 217
- House seats held by Democrats: 207
- Number of House races not called: 11
Democrats need to win all 11 remaining races to retain control.
The following races have not yet been called:
- There are six uncalled House races california, the most populous state in the country. Counting votes there could take weeks, as official canvassing expires within a month of Election Day.
- Two games still too close to call Colorado, including the Republican House’s 3rd District. Lauren Boebert had an exceptionally close race, leading by just over 1,000 votes with about 99 percent of the vote.
- Alaska and maine Everyone has one more game to play. Both states use a ranked choice voting system.
- Oregon A winner for its sixth congressional district has not yet been predicted. The state conducts its elections entirely by mail.
This article was reported by CNN’s Andrew Menezes, Maeve Reston, Eric Bradner and Renée Rigdon.